check out the NEW website! www.penhooligan.com

http://www.penhooligan.com/ is my online gallery of artwork. Check out all five galleries including pen and ink, scherenschnitte, acrylic painting, polymer clay and photopaint photography.



Wednesday, April 7, 2010

the earliest inspirations

My creative life stemmed directly from the love of the written word. Although I appreciate the fact that some cultures never had to write a word to tell a story, I was smitten with books from the beginning. Within these books were recipes for various pieces of my personality. You can think and believe. You can write with your pen and you can divine from these the truths you seek. You perhaps could even find God staring back at you. You could find a new path through the forests of human life. Like the path, the small path you used to walk on afternoons to meet a friend through your childhood forests. You could learn about a person you never met or a person who was long since dead. You could find your friends in voices. You could find moral lessons from those who know better on your own, defeating a lack of parental guidance. You could find an ocean of time to live and dwell within a book. Just ask Tolkien, Rice or any other writer of immortals. They live vicariously for centuries with their characters. Bilbo or Lestat... whichever. So this is the magic and deserved beauty of writing and books. To those who don't understand, don't. It's not within everyone's power to appreicate a story or a lesson or seek friends when they have none. Some would rather wallow in self-pity or remain ungrown, constantly asking and constantly questioning... where is the light? Crack open a book! I know this "mystical" experience I describe seems rather mundane and actually too simple. But practice makes perfect at adventuring through books. I challenge everyone to give it a try. Books can heal. And now the evidence of music hits me. For an instrument could be the same vessel for change and understanding. For growth. In this time I am finding my feet more solidly in my world and in my voice. I am unafraid now, although I was fearful before. The myths feed me. The magick is happening and the mayhem is the unspoiled voice of those writers and players and free thinkers. It is the calamity of life and love. I revel in these things and turn once more to my reading schedule, writing schedule and notetaking. The life of a striving, consummate learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment